1. What do you think the title “Flash Burnout” means?
2. Is the setting important to the story, or could this story take place anywhere? Why?
3. At the beginning of the story, what is Blake’s relationship with his parents? How does this relationship change over time?
4. At the beginning of the story, what is Blake’s relationship with his brother? How does this relationship change over time?
5. What is the conflict that Blake faces? How is that conflict resolved?
6. Is the relationship between Blake and his girlfriend, Shannon, and his friend, Marissa, realistic? Why or why not?
7. Compare and contrast the two main sets of parents – Blake’s and Marissa’s.
8. Why do you think the author begins each chapter with a quote about photography?
9. How would the story have changed if Blake had made a different choice when he tried to comfort Marissa?
10. What is the overall theme of this book?
11. Take one scene, or chapter, from Flash Burnout, and re-write/re-tell it from Marissa’s point of view, or from the POV of a secondary character like Cappie or Garrett or Gus.
12. Does the ending feel realistic? Re-write/Re-tell another ending to Flash Burnout.
13. Bonus baker’s dozen question: Are there any songs you would add to the playlists at the end of the book?
Download a PDF of the discussion guide: